San Francisco de Asis Mission Church was built between 1772 and 1816. It is located on the plaza in Ranchos de Taos, itself a historic district named Ranchos de Taos Plaza, about four miles southwest of the town of Taos, New Mexico. Construction on the church began around 1772 and was completed in 1815 by Franciscan Fathers. Its patron is Saint Francis of Assisi. The church is made of adobe as are many of the Spanish missions in New Mexico. It is located a few miles south of Taos Pueblo and is one of the most painted and photographed buildings in the United States. It was the subject of four paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe,and photographs by Ansel Adams, Paul Strand and Ned Scott. Georgia O'Keeffe described it as, "one of the most beautiful buildings left in the United States by the early Spaniards." It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970, and is also designated as a World Heritage church.
© Jack Surran Photography